How much weight am I expected to gain during pregnancy?

    pregnantThis may be the question on your mind especially if you are a first time mom. For you to know the weight gain appropriate for you, you will need to know your pre-pregnancy weight  (usual weight before pregnancy) in either pounds (Ibs) or Kilogram and your height in meter, this is needed to calculate your body mass index (BMI) so as to classify you as being underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese. After doing this, we can then proceed to the discourse on weight gain during pregnancy. Need to calculate your BMI? Check the ‘Nutritional Tools’ page

Do you already know your Body Mass Index in terms of being underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese? The following guidelines by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) can help you know the weight you are expected to gain during the period of pregnancy

 Underweight

This is for women with BMI less than 18.5kg/m2. If you are in this category, it is recommended that you add 12.5 – 18kg (28 – 40 pounds) during your period of pregnancy.

 Normal weight

Women in this category have BMI 18.5 – 24.9kg/m2, expected weight gain during pregnancy is 11.5 – 16kg (25 – 35 pounds)

Overweight

This category is for women with BMI 25 – 29.9kg/m2, expected weight gain is 7 – 11.5kg (15 – 25 pounds)

 Obese

This category is for women with BMI greater than 30kg/m2, there is no specific weight gain target for this group because there is potential increased health risk associated with increasing weight gain, however, the minimum weight gain for this category is usually 6.8kg (15 pounds)

 Why is weight gain during Pregnancy important?

Weight gained during pregnancy is majorly for the growth and development of the growing fetus (unborn child). About 70 percent of the weight accumulated during pregnancy is for the development of placenta, uterus, increased blood and fluid supply to the fetus and for the optimal weight of the fetus, the remaining 30 percent is for mother’s fat store necessary for breastfeeding after delivery.

Hope you found this information useful. Do you want to consult with a dietitian directly or need a follow up during the period of your pregnancy? Visit ‘Our Services’ page

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s